Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Downsizing Tumbleweed style

I often complain about my small house. And really, it's not even that small at just over 1500 sq.ft. But I keep telling myself we need another bedroom, a bigger bathroom, an island in the kitchen, a playroom for all the toys, a walk-in closet...and the list goes on and on.

Then I remind myself that if we weren't so obsessed with things - So many things. Crowding our unorganized space. Clothes and books and toys, toys, toys. Way more than we need. Enough for our family and probably a half dozen more families - then we'd be much better off.

I came across this website the other day called Tumbleweed Tiny houses. I remember seeing this guy, Jay Shafer, on Oprah once, talking about his teeny-tiny 89sq.ft home. Yep, you read that right: Eighty-nine square feet! Less than one hundred. His entire house has less square footage than Charlotte's small bedroom.

Crazy, not possible.

But it is possible. And it works for him. And it works for families too, according to the website. The homeowners are forced to re-evaluate what is most important, as things must be kept to a bare minimum in such a tiny space. Ever little nook and cranny has a purpose. There is no wasted space. Couples and families have no option but to spend time together, there is no place to run and hide. The savings on utilities are phenomenal. The environmental footprint of such a tiny home is baby-sized. Mr. Shafer says living in a tiny house has allowed him a much more "simple, slower lifestyle". That sounds amazing!

The idea intrigues me so much. I think it's awesome! I think I need to shut up about my "small" house and start thinking about what really matters. And then go get rid of some (more) of the clutter!

Do you think you could live in a tiny home?

2 comments:

heather said...

I was the type to always want a huge house with lots of space and lots of rooms but now my thoughts and wishes are SOOOO different... our home is about 2300+ square feet - IT is wayyyy tooo big...I accumulate tooo much clutter and spend alll my time trying to keep it clean...I would move back to a tiny house anyday!!
We do often forget to be thankful for what we have and take for granted though, dont we???

Stephanie Lush said...

I have 4 children and 2 dogs. Our house is somewhere around 2000 sq ft. I'm always complaining that our house is too small. But my Mom and Dad were both raised in families of 11+ children with houses not even half the size of mine and they never complained about their houses being too small. We have too much 'stuff' and spend far too much time inside these days! Love, love, love the blog by the way! :)