Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Now Following...

I just started following DIME STORE THRIFT

I'm a sucker for antique shops, garage sales, the Salvation Army store, my grandmothers house....pretty much any place where I can snoop through piles of old dishes in china cabinets, photo albums in huge trunks, and gaudy vintage jewellry in gaudy vintage jewellry boxes.

The hubster? He hates it.

If we drive anywhere and I see a "yard sale" or "Antique store - 1 Km Ahead" sign, he literally speeds up and whizzes on by with me cranking my neck around like an owl to try and see what I've just missed. And then I grumble and complain about him never stopping while at the same time understanding that if he HAD stopped, that would mean us being at least an hour late to our current destination. The truth hurts!

And so I've managed to follow my little obsession online. I haven't actually made any purchases online. I just like browsing.

It works a little better for me to browse without buying, to be perfectly honest. Cause here's the thing - while I LOVE LOVE LOVE so many vintage things, when I take them home, I can't figure out where to put them. And so, for the most part, they sit in a closet somewhere, just waiting for the perfect spot, and then I never find the perfect spot, and the item doesn't get appreciated the way it should. I have great intentions.

Oh, but can I just say how much joy it brings to my heart to find an antique cameo or big gaudy brooch or a worn hardcover copy of "Pride and Prejudice" complete with turned down pages and little asterisks marking the last readers favourite parts! I can just see a little old lady, dressed in her favourite flowered hat, brooch pinned on the side of her cardigan, sipping tea in chipped China, sitting in a wicker chair on her front porch, enjoying an old classic.

See, it's not just about the item, it's about the image that item represents . That image sits in your mind and speaks to your heart and makes you want to own that book, smell the hint of cigarettes and stale perfume, and share in that imagined moment.

With that said, I'm very happy to share Dime Store Thrift with you and her display of found objects complete with little entertaining stories and snippets of her daily adventures.

Do you have a thrift store obsession too?

1 comment:

Quirky Christa said...

It's funny cause hubby always wants to go to garage sales and I'm the one who's reluctantly dragged along....yet I'm almost always the one to buy something if I see that vintage item that I just cannot walk away from. Thanks for sharing the site :)