Monday, May 24, 2010

No. 24 and No. 28 - Sorting and Organizing Through one of THOSE days!

For me this long May 2-4 weekend was not about get-aways or camping (although those would be nice). Rather it was about trying to get some things done around the house.

Well, what a disaster that turned out to me. I didn't know I could have such emotional turmoil over attempting to finalize spring cleaning.

It started on Saturday morning. I awakened to the sound of the lawnmower outside. The hubster stayed home from the store to get some yard work done (much needed and appreciated - Thanks babe!). I got up, Sarah got up, and we had breakfast. Fine...so far so good.

I had planned to hang clothes on the line - much too windy, looked like rain. Disappointment #1.
I started to gather laundry - ALL manner of the hubsters clothing strewn on the floor on his side of the bed. Annoyance #1.
Thoughts of the long drive to St. John's this week for Sarah's dr's appointment - Worry #1.
Sarah decides she wants to watch Beauty and the Beast and the TV won't work. I reach behind the TV to check the plug-in, come up and hit my head HARD on the corner of the shelf above the TV - Hurt #1.

And then I started to cry. At any other time, I probably would have cursed a little (inside my head, of course) and gotten furious at my lack of spatial awareness regarding the shelf. On this day, I cried. And then I sat on the floor and cried. I got up and went to the bedroom, saw this disaster of clothing needing to be sorted in the closet and cried some more. Sat on the bed, started thinking of all the other stuff on my "to-do list" not getting done and literally sobbed. I don't know that I've ever felt so overwhelmed. It was crazy. I'm not usually like that.

#24 and #28. Sorting toys and clothes into bins/purging "give-away" items.
I spent the majority of the morning in fits of tears but managed to still sort a bunch of stuff - I gathered up a huge garbage bag of items for good will. I put away winter items and won't-fit-this-year summer items and took out all my maternity clothes. I told the hubster I was feeling very overwhelmed and unorganized. By the time I looked up, he was already headed back outside. I called him back to carry some bins for me. And then he left. And then I cried some more because he didn't even seem to hear what I had said. Urgh! But when he came back inside he brought a bunch of things up to the attic for storage so he was somewhat redeemed. We headed out to Deer Lake to run an errand for the store and I felt much better after getting dressed, putting on some makeup, and getting some air.

I had Sarah's toys nearly all sorted into bins already - one for dress up clothes, one for toy dishes and food, one for small-motor-play (aka Junkie little McDonald) toys. But I also got out the crayola bin and sorted all of the crayons (good vs. broken), markers, leds, stickers, paper, etc.

Phew! Glad that's over! I don't think I could handle being an overly emotional person. How does one ever get anything accomplished? How do you handle days like this?

Hope your weekend was better than mine. Happy Victoria Day!

Happy Birthday to my wonderful sister! Hope it was a great one!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Poor YOU, Myrna. I SO wish I lived closer...I LOVE sorting and organizing! I would do it for you! Hope your drive and the dr's apt goes well!