Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Return of the Dinosaur

Mr. Typewriter Repairman came into the office again today to complete maintenance of our remaining typewriters.

I didn't see him walk in (I can see the front desk through the window in my cubicle) but then I heard a voice behind me say "Hello...I'm baaaack!"

He asked how my weekend went and so forth and I asked if he would like to have another tea.

He clutched his chest with his hand, "Be still my heart!"

I took this as a definite yes and replied that I would make him another. He hobbled down to the next cubicle and began his work.

I remembered his three sugars, just a smidge of milk.

When I brought the tea to him, he said, "I saw you coming around the corner. You know I've been thinking about this all day."

I asked him where he was from (to verify that I was correct about his accent). He said, "London...but not London, Ontario" I laughed and returned to my desk.

He stopped in on his way out for me to sign his work order. I mentioned having a hard time remembering to sign my "new last name" and he congratulated me on getting married. He asked if I'd known my husband long and I replied that we were from the same area in Newfoundland but didn't really know each other well until the past 3 years.

He said, "Ya know that's so important to have the same sorta background. Cause I've had a few women who weren't and ya just don't understand each other."

A few women? I think in my head...doesn't look like the casanova type but he sure is a charmer.

"Maybe I'm just dumb and I can't catch on", he laughs. His laugh is husky and rough around the edges, like a mix between a normal chuckle and a smokers cough.

He shakes my hand and I clutch his in both of mine. He thanks me and I thank him in return.

"It was so nice to see you again", he says.

"It was great to see you too", I return.

He walks out the door. I know that he is one little old man that I will think of often. I will wonder if he's okay, did he have his afternoon tea? Has he retired yet instead of being hunched over a typewriter for the rest of his days?

I am amazed at how impacted I am by this meeting. A reminder once again....although we are so different we are all so connected.

When was the last time you made a connection?

2 comments:

Quirky Christa said...

I almost cry when I read about you and the dinosaur man..I don't know why I just do. Just another day for both of you, yet such special moments. Makes me realize that I always need to have coffee and tea on hand for visitors :)

Daph's Amazing Kids said...

I bet you were the highlight of his week. Isn't it nice to bring a smile to someone's face?