Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Perspective

A tragedy has befallen my extended family. This past weekend, on Friday, my cousin Brian, his wife, and infant son, were in a car accident. They were on vacation in Newfoundland, a trip made to christen their son in the church back home. They were on their way to visit some family members in another town when they lost control of their van. Cynthia was driving, she was trapped in the vehicle while Brian managed to get him and the baby out. Cynthia did not make it. I am told that she probably died instantly.

Christa was the first to find out. Christa's boyfriend is the nephew of Brian. It was so shocking to hear the news. I had only talked to Brian and Cynthia a couple of weeks ago because Brian is the maintenance guy in my apartment building. I commented to Cynthia about how much the baby looked like her with his cute little dimples. He is named after his great-grandfather but he is definitely his mother's child.

After all my whining and complaining, I should be ashamed of myself. This sort of event sure does put things into perspective. Life is so precious and should be taken one moment at time. Not even one DAY at a time...because from this type of accident we know that it only takes a split second for life to take a turn in the opposite direction. Things can change so dramatically in such a short amount of time...and then time is no more. Death is so eerily close, only a breath away really. Strangely comforting, actually, now as I type those words...."only a breath away"...suffering seems to be only for those who are left behind.

After this, I would like to challenge myself to be the person I can and should be. I challenge you as well. It's just not worth it to hang on to past mistakes, to hold grudges for wrong-doings, to withhold forgiveness because of hurt. Bitterness and anger have no rightful place in our hearts.

"Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God" -- Matthew 5:8

And when this life passes into the next, I want to see God.

No comments: