Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Dare I admit...

...I voted for the very first time last night. 28 years old and I've never marked an X to express my opinion about the political future of my country. My reason was always that I knew nothing about politics, that my vote would be made purely out of ignorance. And I still really don't know much about politics, I find it boring and difficult to comprehend. It seems all the political parties are bad in one way or another so it was a matter of following my instinct to choose the lesser of the evils. And no, I will not share who I voted for. I will say that my husband and I voted differently. Is that absolutely terrible? I hope not. But he was the one who encouraged to get out there and do my duty as a Canadian citizen. My father also gave me crap for not exercising this priveledge that my fore-mothers fought so hard for. So, I did it. I kinda did the eeny-miney-mo thing while at the polling station but I did it. And I'm proud of myself for taking that step. Maybe this will finally set me in the right direction to take a greater interest in our political future.

2 comments:

Daph's Amazing Kids said...

I must admit that I have never voted in my life either. I, like you, know nothing about politics and I must shamefully say that I have no interest.

Quirky Christa said...

Kristen and I voted as well, his first time my second. My mother and Grandmother Ball feel very strongly about taking advantage of your canadian rights. I don't feel very educated either but I made a point of checking out the websites of the three that I was most familiar with and made my decision based on that.