Friday, June 17, 2005

Little Ballerina

We just met Erykah outside on her way to her second and final dance recital of the year. She was dressed in her blue sparkly (and "itchy" according to Erykah) bodysuit with white leotards and Tammy-Faye makeup. It is rather strange to see a 5-year old wearing so much "face-paint" (looks much too grown up). But yet, in my eyes, she looks just like a porcelain doll with her red lips and those big eyes rimmed in long black lashes. It is a requirement that the girls wear all this makeup. It and the bodysuit are equally a part of the costume.

The first recital was on Wednesday night. Jamie and I had tickets, of course. We wouldn't miss it for the world.

Erykah started dance classes last year. She began taking Jazz and Acro but didn't particularly like either of them. This year she decided to try ballet instead. She seems to really enjoy it and did a wonderful job at her recital on Wednesday night. I love watching her, I am such a proud auntie. She follows her teacher with close watching eye and imitates step after step. Seeing her on stage almost makes me cry.

I've seen Erykah practicing at home on occasion. Normally she is very secretive and will only run through her steps when she thinks no one is watching. I hear her whispering the choreography to herself..."1,2,3,4...Heel, together, heel, together....plie....join hands" I don't know the steps but that's what it sorta sounds like.

I took a whole bunch of pictures at the recital. The theatre doesn't allow flash because it distracts the performers, understandably. I tried my best, I am not the best photographer. I'll be sure to share the pics when I get them developed next week.

"Break a leg, Erykah"
(Not for real...I'm told that means "good luck" in performer speak)

No comments: