Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Talkin' 'bout MY GIRL

Erykah, my niece, is five years old today. I am flabbergasted...FIVE! How did that happen? She was only born yesterday...

Yet, last night, she was talking about school and helping me draw and colour a "Happy Birthday" poster, writing her own name, and chatting about wanting to get a new "big girl" bike.

Erykah is growing so much. She has her moods which seem to swing wildly out of control at times. I kinda like that about her. It drives me crazy sometimes but I love her personality. She is fun, silly, grumpy, over-exciteable, talkative, cautious, helpful, curious.

Erykah definitely has her own likes and dislikes. This year, unlike her younger birthdays, she is very picky about the clothes she will receive and asked her mom about what to do if she got an item she didn't like. You can imagine the look of shock on my sisters face at the comment. Seems that children have a brutal honesty that leaves you speechless sometimes.

Erykah loves to cook (and is quite good at it!) thanks to her wonderful parents who take the time to let her do such things under watchful eye. She very much enjoys going to restaurants to eat. She loves to do crafts, much to the delight of her auntie Myrna. She loves to take the time to notice the little things....the smell of a flower, the spots on a ladybug, the new colour of my toenails. I love that!

Erykah will be my little flowergirl in about 6 and a half weeks. She likes to ask about the wedding and sometimes talks like such a "grown-up" that it completely throws me off. She asked her mother, "Mommy, which part of the wedding comes first - the boring part or the fun part?" When my sister asked what the boring part meant, Erykah responded with "the part where I have to do the walking (down the aisle)" lol :) What a character!

Erykah is truly my girl...I know that I am certainly second in line to her parents. But to me she is still MY GIRL! I have spent so much time with her and I cannot imagine life without her. My mother says that Erykah is a lot like me when I was a child....so many similarites, it's weird to see myself in her. I feel sometimes that I am watching a mini-me. I am excited about moving into my new house but, at the same time, I absolutely dread the day when Erykah will no longer live so close. The years go by so quickly and I just don't like to miss anything with her.

So, to my baby girl (although you are not a baby anymore): You are a beautiful big girl and I am very proud to be your auntie. Happy Birthday....I hope you have lots of kisses and hugs for me today...and always!

3 comments:

Quirky Christa said...

So sweet almost made me cry. What will you do when you get your own children?

Anonymous said...

It's funny Christa said the exact same comment I wanted to leave. I can't wait for you to have your own children...you will be an AMAZING mother! You'll have to get 'crackin' after the wedding!

Daph's Amazing Kids said...

This blog only goes to show how great of a mom you will be when some day you have children of your own. I know exactly how you feel though, I love my neice Heather just as much as I love my own children. Children are such amazing little persons.