Friday, June 17, 2005

Me and My BIG Mouth

Jamie and I are having a "Jack and Jill" (or "Buck n Doe", whatever you wanna call it) next weekend, June 25th.

Originally I wanted nothing to do with such an event. But Jamie really wanted to have one. Getting married away means a lot of people are unable to attend the wedding. The Jack n Jill provides a way for everyone to get together to help us celebrate.

I maintained my negative status on the exterior citing many excuses:
- Didn't want the hassle of planning
- Too much up-front costs involved (although you get the money back in the end)
- Nobody to help with planning with so many other things happening
- Too late to find a location

Jamie totally bought all of the excuses but I had secretly decided with the help of my sister to go ahead and surprise him. After all, it usually ends up being the bride who gets spoiled and the groom gets jipped. And nobody loves surprises more than Jamie. He gets so excited about stuff like that.

Everybody did such a good job of keeping the secret. All of our families knew, his entire softball team, friends, co-workers. Nobody spilled the beans ONCE!

But then, me and my mouth met up with an old college friend who is also getting married in July. She began talking about her wedding saying that her fiance was from New Brunswick and that they would be going down east after the "real" wedding to have a second wedding for all of his family to celebrate.

I pipe up and say, "Oh yeah, we are doing almost the same thing because we are getting married in PEI. We're having a Jack and Jill here so that everyone can get together." Even after saying it, I was completely oblivious to the fact that the words had come out of my mouth with Jamie standing RIGHT BESIDE ME. I continue my conversation, say Goodbye to her, and walk into Walmart. As we walk in the doors, Jamie says, "Why did you tell that girl we were having a Jack and Jill?"

CRAP!! Totally Caught!! I started laughing, searched desperately for a way to get myself out of the situation....hhmmmm???....NOTHING!! I was busted! I couldn't believe it!

But the look of excitement on his face totally made up for my losing my mind (and my tongue). He rambled on and on and asked neverending questions:
Where is it?
When is it?
Who's going?
Who's planning it
How long has this been going on?
How were you going to surprise me?
etc, etc, etc....

In a way, it's a relief. Keeping secrets from Jamie proved to be extremely difficult. That's a good thing, right? There should be no secrets. I figured this was a good exception to the rule though. But I'm happy that he's happy. It should be a really fun night! Hope you can come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suuuuurrre Myrna...spoil the big surprise for Jamie! Why don't you show him your dress now! heee! heee! I'm sure you'll have a blast anyways! Enjoy, wish we could be there!