Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle Burns the Pizza

Mothers Day is approaching...this year is slightly different.

As always I think of my own wonderful mother, a truly marvelous woman who devoted her young life to being a stay-at-home-mom. I am reminded of one of my favourite quotes:
They say that man is mighty, He governs land and sea, He wields a mighty scepter
O'er lesser powers that be; But a mightier power and stronger Man from his
throne has hurled, For the hand that rocks the cradle Is the hand that rules the
world

I love this quote, it is so true! Mothers are our foundation. They keep us safe for our first 9 months of creation, they give us birth, feed us, nurture us, kiss our wounds, and love us even when we make their hearts ache.

This year, with marriage pending, I have been thinking a great deal of becoming a mother myself. I have "baby fever" days when nothing could seem better. And then the days when the idea of motherhood scares me to death. I wonder how I will ever keep up?....I hate being awakened from sleep, I lose patience so easily sometimes, I love my freedom to come and go as I please....this will all change so drastically that I cannot even imagine! And then there's the emotional part of motherhood which I cannot even fathom understanding.
The decision to have a child, it's momentous. It is to decide forever to let
your heart walk around outside of your body.

I have deeply considered many aspects of motherhood since becoming an auntie. I love my nieces dearly and try and spend as much time with them as possible. I fear the day when I am no longer the cool aunt...Erykah will no longer call me to "come over" just because...., Isabella will no longer be the cute little toddler who hugs my shoulder so tightly.

It was so much easier to babysit when there was just one of them....not EASY, but easIER. I took care of them yesterday for a few hours after work. Jamie was a huge help and prepared most of our supper while I watched the girls. Of course, he eventually had to take a shower, leaving me alone to watch the girls AND the homemade pizza in the oven. Apparantly I am unable to do both because I totally forgot about the pizza....and it cooked for much too long! "It's not burnt, at least...", I said (more like a question requiring gentle reassurance) to Jamie. He just said that it was okay, that he knew I was busy. Deep down if I were him I would have been thinking "I leave you alone for 10 minutes!..."

Ultimately I've come to a conclusion. I guess it doesn't really matter if the pizza is burnt as long as everyone is healthy and safe and can lovingly sit down and eat it together!

1 comment:

Quirky Christa said...

Eeeww I don't want any of your burnt pizza....lol. Nice comments about your mom, love the quotes.