Thursday, May 19, 2005

Happy Birthday Bella!


Isabella - just a few minutes old

Yesterday was Isabella's first birthday. Wow! I am astonished at how quickly time flies. It seems like yesterday could have more easily been the day she was born. 8lbs 8oz, dark hair, big eyes, wrinkled skin. She was a stubborn little thing and gave her mother a very hard time coming into the world. Labour for my sister was much more difficult the second time around than with her first daughter.

My sister, brave soul that she is, decided to have both of her children at home with the aid of *midwives. She wouldn't have it any other way. I was present at a couple of the prenatal appointments and at the birth of both of my nieces. I was absolutely amazed at the great level of care provided by the attending midwives. They were with my sister every step of the way to reassure, comfort, massage, coach, focus, whatever they could do to make the experience as good as possible given the painful circumstances.

I was called by my mother to go to my sister's apartment around midnight (May 17th approaching May 18th) and after many agonizing hours, Isabella was born at approximately 7:20 am. Interestingly enough, my sister tells me that this is the same time that Isabella awakened yesterday morning on her birthday. What a coincedence!

Isabella's big sister, Erykah, was also present for the birth. My sister had actively involved her in visits to the midwife. She had explained in the most age-appropriate way possible about how the baby grew in her tummy and had to eventually come out. For some reason, Erykah had originally thought in her then 3-year old mind that the baby would come out of mommy's mouth. It seems she was told that kissing was how the process of baby-making began. And thus, the association...kissing=baby=mouth....? Ha, Ha, I just think that's so great! Anyways, despite the misunderstanding, Erykah handled the birth extremely well. She knew that mommy was okay and immediately after Isabella was born, Erykah went to her room and pulled out her doctor kit. With stethoscope in hand, she insisted on checking the baby's heartbeat to make sure that all was well. What a great moment!

Ah, to reminisce is wonderful. But unfortunately, Isabella has been sick for her birthday week. Hopefully she'll be feeling better soon, back to her normal "rough and tumble" self.

Tomorrow I hope to have some pics to share from her birthday party and the adventures of fingers and face full of birthday cake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG bring tears to my eyes! Just hearing you talk of child birth...makes me soooo happy and sad and reminiscint of my two boys birth! I only hope that one day I will get to join a close friend or family member during their deliveries....such a joyous moment. Nothing that words could ever come close to describing! It's so wonderful that you were able to be there with your sister!

It's been a while since I wrote in my blog...i've been sick/busy with life. I need a kick in the *ss to get me going again! Great blogging Myrna...as usual!

Daph's Amazing Kids said...

This is an awesome blog. I just love to hear the stories of a child's birth. Seems no matter what nationality you are, where you live or what language you speak, the stories of a child's birth are all beautiful and special. Happy Birthday to Isabella, can't believe it's been a year already.