Thursday, May 12, 2005

Stickers



According to http://www.discountscrapbooksupplies.com/, PSX, the makers of my favourite scrapbooking stickers, "...has gone out of business and is no longer making these stickers".

I placed an order two days ago to stock up. I just received it (these guys have very quick service).

I've always loved stickers, still do. I believe the obsession probably started when my granny always put sheets of stickers in my stocking at Christmas - the scratch n' stiff ones, the puffy googly-eyed ones, the shiny metallic ones. It was quite an extensive collection if my memory serves me correct.

Fascination with stickers continued in Sunday School where we received a shiny gold cross for each Sunday of attendance or for each memorized Bible verse.

Elementary school was the same with stars on a chart for good manners and tidying up. I looked forward to the "Excellent work!" or "Good Job!" sticker on my projects.

I always got a sticker.

So perhaps my current love of stickers is more than just the pretty colours and the decorative element to a page. They are symbolic for me - of past achievements, of a job well done, of feeling proud of my accomplisments. Seems rather ridiculous now that I think of it - I was rewarded for being "good" by getting a sticker? Not much incentive now is it? Seems rather cheap to have measured myself in such a way. And I just couldn't understand why the other kids didn't "try harder" to fill out their charts and such. How sad is that? And I think I'm still the same sometimes - placing "good" labels on others, on strangers, on people that I think don't try hard enough.

Time to stop cheating myself by my need for "stickers". From now on, they must be for scrapbooking purposes only!

1 comment:

Quirky Christa said...

Maybe you should put stickers on your "lifes to do list" as you complete the tasks. I think that's a great idea!