Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Naked without my ring


Posted by Hello
I've never really been much of a jewellry person. I should rephrase, I've never been one to WEAR much jewellry, though I do love it.

When I was 9 or 10 I wanted to pierce my ears like all the other girls and was sternly told by my father, "If God wanted holes in your ears then he would have put them there!". I never bothered again except for one piercing in my upper ear when I was 18, I'm sure my dad was thrilled. It was during my rebellion stage..."Rebel"...HA!, as if I could ever be a rebel.

Anyways, back to my original point about jewellry. I have my favourite vintage pieces, mostly cameos (LOVE cameos), some grandma-type brooches, clunky Mrs. Roper costume stuff. But I barely ever wear any of it. Today, I wear only a silver necklace and the same silver hoop that's been embedded in that one pierced ear for 6 years now. But I'm missing one very important piece, realized it on the drive to work this morning, my engagement ring!! How could I forget that? My hands swell terribly at night so I take it off and place it next to my bed, in the same spot every evening, and put it on first thing when I wake up. But it seems that my morning routine was thrown - I've decided to place blame on my extremely vocal cat loudly waking me to say that I had forgotten to fill his bowl the night before. Psychologically, of course, I battled with myself and pondered if there was a subconscious reason why I had chosen not to wear the ring this morning. I was kinda annoyed at Jamie last night for not helping with his laundry....? But I had already balanced that away by reminding myself that he DID help with preparing supper. Nah, that's not it....I just simply forgot....and now I feel naked, constantly feeling my finger, momentarily startled to find it not there, and having to remind myself, "Don't panic, it's not lost, it's at home safe and sound"....all alone next to my bed, feeling left out in not fulfulling it's purpose in life (Yes, I quite often give voice and emotion to inanimate objects). Tonight, I will make an extra mental note, post a "sticky" on my bathroom mirror, and make certain that tomorrow, I will not come to work naked!

No comments: